The House Energy and Commerce Committee, Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade and Consumer Protection, will hold a hearing today on the "Calling Card Consumer Protection Act of 2009" (HR 3993). The bill would require prepaid calling card providers and their distributors to disclose all applicable rates and other terms and conditions to consumers. The FTC would be empowered to enforce the requirements, including against common carrier prepaid card providers.
Rep. Engel (D-NY) introduced the bill on November 3, 2009. This is the first hearing on the bill.
Scheduled witnesses today will be:
- Lois Greisman, Director, Division of Marketing Practices, Federal Trade Commission
- Sally Greenberg, Executive Director, National Consumers League
- Patricia Acampora, Commissioner, New York State Public Service Commission, National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners
- Alie Kabba, Executive Director, United African Organization
- Scott Ramminger, President, American Wholesale Marketers Association