Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR) will keynote “Legal Code: Reframing the Divide by Addressing Broadband Access Through Affordability and Inclusion”, a virtual event co-hosted by Kelley Drye and Silicon Flatirons on May 12th from 2:00-4:00 PM (ET) that will explore issues surrounding broadband affordability. The COVID-19 pandemic shined a spotlight on the Digital Divide and Digital Inequality, and with it, illuminated the broader issue of digital inclusion and internet access as a civil right. Over the last four years, efforts to close the Digital Divide have been geared largely toward access to networks in rural America, but pandemic related displacement is driving a shift in focus toward affordability in both rural and urban areas. This shift is most clearly evidenced by the recently adopted Emergency Broadband Benefit program, which gives broadband providers the unique opportunity to help fight Digital Inequality by offering subsidized discounts on robust Internet service and connected devices capable of helping low-income Americans connect to classrooms, jobs, and telehealth. Other recent efforts include the schools and libraries-focused Emergency Connectivity Fund, which aims to address a homework gap that transformed into a school-year-long remote learning gap.
This event will examine the pandemic’s impact on how we think about the digital divide and digital inequality, the new administration’s approach, and related activity in Congress, at the FCC, and at other federal agencies.
Introduction & Opening Remarks
- Amie Stepanovich, Executive Director, Silicon Flatirons
- Ron Wyden, U.S. Senator for Oregon
Panel: Conceptualizing and Navigating Paths to Affordability and Inclusion
- John J. Heitmann (Moderator), Partner, Kelley Drye & Warren LLP
- Kate Black, Acting Chief Policy Advisor, Federal Communications Commission
- Jose Cortes, Chair, Regulatory and Government Affairs Committee, National Lifeline Association
- Claire Park, Policy Program Associate, New America’s Open Technology Institute
- Trinity Thorpe-Lubneuski, Senior Director, Internet Essentials, Comcast
Click here for more information and to register.